I was listening to my husband play Overwatch when a character yelled out: “The universe has no obligation to make sense to you!” I thought, that would make a great writing prompt. That’s how this started.
I then began a list of all those gaming lines that would make great writing prompts. They are not in any order below, I will break them down into lists of ten. Let me know your favorite.
Note: If you are going to use a game as a writing prompt try to forget who said it and why. Create your own story, do share your work with me, I love to read!
The First Ten
- OVERWATCH The universe has no obligation to make sense to you!
- BIOSHOCK We all make choices in life, but in the end, our choices make us.
- MAX PAYNE The genius of the hole. No matter how long you spend climbing out, you can still fall back in.
- MASS EFFECT Had to be me, someone else might have gotten it wrong. (Don’t cry girl, don’t cry, we have 96 more prompts to find! Mourn him later.)
- LEGEND OF ZELDA A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage.
- HALF LIFE The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
- MASS EFFECT Hard to see the big picture behind a pile of corpses.
- OVERWATCH Not to be academic, but I know that one would call this being on fire.
- CASTLEVANIA What is a mam? A miserable little pile of secrets.
- PORTAL The cake is a lie.
The Second Ten
- DUKE NUKEM It’s time to kick ass and chew bubblegum… And I’m all out of gum.
- BATMAN Even after everything you’ve done, I would have saved you.
- UNCHARTED I’m sweatin’ like a hooker in a church.
- GOD OF WAR Hope is what makes us strong, it’s why we are here, it’s what we fight with when all else is lost.
- SKYRIM What is better? To be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
- MASS EFFECT Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and asks the ghosts if honour matters.
- BORDERLANDS Bring me a bucket, and I’ll show you a bucket!
- ASSASSINS CREED Wanting something does not give you the right to have it.
- HALO A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.
- ALAN WAKE If our lives are already written, it would take a courageous man to change the script.
The Third Ten
- METAL GEAR SOLID It’s easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield.
- ANIMAL CROSSING Don’t wish it were easier, wish you were better.
- DRAGON AGE It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly.
- BORDERLANDS Nothing is more badass then treating a woman with respect.
- DEAD SPACE Good men mean well. We just don’t always end up doing well.
- LEGEND OF ZELDA It’s dangerous to go alone, take this!
- LEFT 4 DEAD I miss the internet
- PORTAL We both said a lot of things that you’re going to regret. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science.
- TO THE MOON The ending isn’t any more important than any of the moments leading to it.
- FINAL FANTASY X No matter how dark the night, morning always comes, and our journey begins anew.
The Fourth Ten
- DOTA Steel wins battles. Gold wins wars.
- FALLOUT War. War never changes. But men do, through the roads they walk.
- MASS EFFECT Does this unit have a soul?
- METAL GEAR SOLID I raised you, and loved you, I’ve given you weapons, taught you techniques, endowed you with knowledge. There’s nothing more for me to give you. All that’s left for you to take is my life.
- POKEMON It’s more important to master the cards you’re holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt.
- OVERWATCH I blew up the tire, if anyone was wondering.
- OVERWATCH Mm… Pretty place. Be a shame to have to kill someone here.
- MARIO & LUIGI I am the mustard of your doom.
- RATCHET AND CLANK It was mating season. How was I to know she was your sister?
- FATAL FURY. Your Fists of evil are about to meet my steel wall of niceness.
The Fifth Ten
- OVERWATCH Oh, don’t mind me, I was just takin’ five. Definitely not thinkin’ about blowin’ somethin’ up. No way! Eheh. Definitely not. …Okay, come on, maybe just a little something?
- ASSASSINS CREED Escape plan? When no one is left, walk out the front door.
- NIER AUTOMATA A future is not given to you. It is something you must take for yourself.
- OVERWATCH I’m on fire. Please, do not contact emergency services.
- MASS EFFECT I don’t need luck. I have ammo.
- FINAL FANTASY XIV My dear Friend… I doubt I will ever be able to thank you enough. But when the conference is successfully concluded, I damn well mean to try.
- TOMB RAIDER The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.
- MASS EFFECT She seems nice. In that mad-scientist, ethics-for-sale kind of way.
- SPYRO Mess with the dragon, you get the horns.
- FAR CRY The collapse is upon us, and the reaping has begun… but there is nothing to fear.
I Know I Missed A lot
Add your own favorite quotes that you can turn into writing prompts below. Or check out these Dark writing prompts for something a little more chill.
Shout out if you want another list like this one, or if you want a list of movie quotes that you can use as writing prompts, or a Disney list maybe?
Honestly, I didn’t realize how many good ones Mass Effect had. I could write a whole list based on that series alone! Overwatch too is just as bad for amazing one-liners, but this list shall suffice for now. Don’t forget to subscribe to keep updated with all that is going on on this site!