You’ve finally done it. Years, maybe decades of writing your world on scraps of paper, typing on the computer until dawn filters through the window, reading, re-reading and re-reading everything you’ve written until you are sure the book is n longer entertaining and needs a complete re-write.
You’ve spent hours upon hours getting this book ready for publication. The day it went live you celebrated. Then you realised, the only person to buy it was your mother, and the review she left on Amazon was five words long. “Excellent Book. A must read.”
Believe me, I’ve been there. I know that feeling of disappointment all too well. What can you do?
Why Book Reviews Help.
People look at three things when buying a book.
- The blurb on the back.
- The chapter selection.
- The reviews.
That’s right people. You may have an awesome blurb that you re-wrote 100 times until you were satisfied, you may have a chapter selection that people find intriguing, but without reviews you’re not going anywhere.
People trust what other people have to say more then they trust the author. Of course the author is going to say good things about the book, they want it to sell. Independent parties are going to be more honest, sometimes brutally so.
Now you are stuck with a dilemma. How do you get someone to review your book if no one is buying it in the first place?
Where To Get Good Book Reviews.
This can be a real challenge, but it can also be really easy. Places like Fiver have people willing to review books, but you never know if they are going to follow through within the time period required, or if the review will be a decent length, or if it will be negative.
Let’s get one thing straight, I’m not saying Fiver is a bad place, just not the best place for professionalism.
Where else can you go?
- Family! Ask them to review it honestly and write a couple of paragraphs.
- Friends. Believe me, they can be brutal, but they are worth a shot.
- Paid for websites like onlinebookclub, readers favourite, dog eared reviews or lovereading.
- Writers forums, ask around, be nice and be ready to offer a review in return.
- Check out the reviewing services here. See below for more details.
Getting A Free Book Review.
This is not as easy as one would think. People these days expect to be paid to review a book, it is a good business to be in. However, this doesn’t mean it is impossible. Here are some options for getting a free review.
- Create your own website with SEO to generate natural traffic and offer a free copy of your book in return for a review.
- Ask people you know and people in forums.
- Use writing forums to offer snippets of your book and ask for reviews. (you can then offer a free full book for a full review to the people who respond.)
- Ask your neighbours, especially if they are elderly, they may really enjoy being included in something like this.
Verified Purchase Vs Unverified Purchase.
When you are published on Amazon there is such a thing as verified purchase review. This means that the reader has definitely bought the book and is not making the review up.
I know, who’s going to go on Amazon and leave loads of unverified reviews for something they’ve never read?! But still, people look for the verified reviews before they fully trust it, wouldn’t you? I know I do.
Wherever possible it is always best for your book to get a verified purchase review.
The Extra Benefits Of Getting Reviewed With Us.
Yes, we do offer a book reviewing service. If you’ve had a chance to check out some of the other services above you’ll see prices like £70, or £120. Here we offer 3 options. £20 and £25 or buy one of ours and review it and we shall return the favour.
Why so cheap?
Because we’ve been there! We know what it’s like to be stuck trying to get sales with no reviews so we have made it easy for you to get a cheap, but high quality review here.
Here’s what to expect with all three options.
Option 1. Unverified purchase review.
This is where you send us a copy of your manuscript and we write a review for it. This is useful if the book isn’t published yet and you are looking for feedback. The review can then be put up with the book when it goes for sale.
- The review itself will be provided within 30 days of submission and be a minimum of 500 words. (Probably more, we get carried away, if you want us to keep it short please say so.)
- We will give our view on the book without giving away any major happenings within the book. (We don’t want to spoil any surprises.)
- We may pull a sentence or two out (or a moment in the book) to comment on specifically (especially if you have asked for us to focus on something when reviewing).
- We will be honest. If your book sucks we will tell you so, in the rare case of a negative review we will not post on Amazon or other websites. We do not want to damage your reputation. In this event, we will tell you what the problems were and offer advice on improvement.
- We will also publish the review in the end of year Anthology!
Option 2. Verified Purchase Review
Same as above except it is a verified purchase. We will purchase a copy of your book. It depends on the reviewer whether this is a physical or digital copy. I myself prefer the physical copies then I can take my own photos to make the review post on the website more attractive, however, if we have been asked to put a rush on it, we always go digital.
Option 3. A Review For A Review.
For the moment these reviews are only books from my collection. (Under Kelly Pickering as I started as an author long before taking my husbands’ name.) If any of our other reviewers decide to offer this service, their books will also be made available.
At the moment I am seeking reviews for an action adventure Outlaws: The Angel of Death. If you want to impress me, comment on the Thunder Run chapter as that was my favourite bit to write. (Free running in a storm.)
To take part in this offer you need only purchase a copy of the book, review it, leave a link to your review in the comments on this page, be sure to leave a link to your book and I shall personally return the favour.
Not only are you getting a verified purchase review worth £25, but these books will also get a free advertisement slot in the Anthology at the end of the year! Isn’t that awesome?!
Send Us Your Book Today.
If you’ve read this far I must have caught your attention. Sign up to one of our book reviews today and we will not disappoint you.